Bryce’s Flat Picnic Area
Bryce's Flat makes a nice stop over for a picnic or a break on a hike between Daylesford and Hepburn Springs.
See relics of the mining past of this area including the large bluestone pieces that once formed a bridge. Keep an eye out for local wildlife, including kangaroos, wallabies and a huge range of birdlife.
For up-to-date park information including any changed conditions, visit the Parks Victoria webpage or call 13 19 63.
Bullarto Railway Station
The restored Bullarto Station is 2452 feet (747.4m) above sea level and today is the highest operating station in Victoria.
In the 1930’s Bullarto had a small, well kept passenger station with an attractive garden, a corrugated iron goods shed, long goods loading platform and a cart weighbridge.
You can visit the historic station on board a restored railmotor from Daylesford. Scenic trains depart each Sunday and the Silver Streak Food & Wine Train travels the first Saturday of each month. There are often additional services during the school holidays and keep an eye out for the ganger trolleys that sometimes operate over school holidays.
Visit www.dscr.com.au for more details.
- 28 S South Bullarto Road, Bullarto, VIC 3461
- Operates from Daylesford a regular Sunday service, an evening service 'Silver Streak' on the first Saturday of the month & Wednesdays over School holidays
See all hours
- 9:45am - 3:35pm
Buried Rivers of Gold Heritage Trail
Beneath the rolling hills of this district are long buried underground streams full of gold!
This self-guided driving tour passes by underground mining operations that won wealth for some beyond their wildest dreams.
Guide books are available for $2 at the Creswick Museum or the Creswick Visitor Information Centre and provide an insight into the past of Creswick and surrounds.
Ballarat to Maryborough Heritage Rail Trail
The Ballarat-Maryborough Heritage Trail (“the trail”) is a cycle touring route connecting the major townships of Maryborough and Ballarat via smaller settlements and other points of interest along the route. The route is designed for a country cycle on quiet, sealed and unsealed roads that take in some of the most attractive towns in the Goldfields region: Talbot, Clunes and Creswick.
The route progresses through scenic, relatively flat (gentle gradient) country with views of rolling hills and farmland on existing public roads, or off-road paths. The route is a 115km trip one way. It could be conducted as a return trip with an overnight stay, or be done in sections. As such the route will link to railway stations in the major settlements to enable different access points. The route will appeal to a cycling market interested in a leisurely cycle and those interested in exploring the Goldfields region, including individuals, or cycling groups.
The Clunes Museum is housed in the former warehouse (c.1860) of contractors Nicholl and Wallace who supplied building materials and hardware to miners, farmers and residents. Since then, it's many and varied uses reflect the town's history and, of course, it is very much part of the town's celebrated 19th century street-scape. Between the wars, it was part of the original knitting mill in Fraser Street. During WWII, it was used as a hostel for families. After the war, it was a hairdresser's for many years as well as an upholsterer's, a dressmaker's and even a fish and chip shop. The redeveloped building, now known as The Warehouse - Clunes to reflect it's 19th century history, reopened in 2014 and it operates as a Hub housing the Museum, the Library, the Visitor information Centre, the Hepburn Shire Service Centre as well as event and meeting spaces.